Outspoken Nothingness

Monday, August 13, 2007

"I Touch the Future, I Teach"

"Everyone who remembers his own educational experience remembers teachers, not methods and techniques. The teacher is the kingpin of the educational situation."
-Sidney Hook


I've always known that at one point in my life, I would love to take up teaching. Partly because I never want to leave school, partly because of my nerd-ish tendency of loving to learn and the look people get when you explain something to them and suddenly the light goes on and they get it, and partly because I think it's amazing to touch and make a difference in someone's life in that way. I honestly believe it's the most rewarding, fulfilling, touching job there is. Although what I'm currently doing has nothing to do with teaching, I still think I can probably find a way to teach if only for a short while.



"Freedom Writers"


WATCH IT!!
If I can achieve half of what she did, I think I can die happily content. I simply loved the movie. Very touching and emotional. Girls, you might need a box of tissue nearby.

It's based on a true story!!



Speaking of teachers. Some of the people who GREATLY influenced my life were my teachers in school. Particularly two of them. One who taught me the joy of reading and creative writing. And the other who taught me to believe in myself and have confidence in my abilities. He also introduced me to debate, model UN, and public speaking, transforming me from the girl who was too shy to even answer a one worded answer to the girl who's always willing to share her opinion on any subject. Their influence greatly shaped who I became to be, and I'm extremely grateful to them.

Did any of your teachers greatly influence your life?
And name something you believe to be very rewarding and fulfilling.

4 Comments:

  • Definitely!
    كاد المعلم ان يكون رسولا
    its one of the noblest professions, yet I don’t think it would be very rewarding if you teach high school. I think a teacher gives more than he takes, only a generous person would do that. many teachers have influenced me in some way or another but I think the environment had a greater influence on me.

    off -topic
    your are an enlightened person

    By Blogger error, at 13/8/07 1:33 AM  

  • I remember one of my teachers, who really helped me break through my shell. He also led me to believe in my abilities. This was way back when, and I can't really remember much of what he said, but I do remember him having that certain effect.

    I saw the movie, I loved it very much. I didn't expect it would be that good but wow! Especially one of the last projects they worked on! I'm getting goosebumps just talking about it :p

    By Blogger Unknown, at 13/8/07 8:28 AM  

  • Error,

    Thank you =)

    In the movie, the teacher went out of the way and created an environment that inspired the students. That's the amazing part.

    Although I'm not a teacher, I gave a tutorial at my college. College students are very apathetic, it's a killer. I'd be very excitedly explaining. They're sitting there very indifferent with blank expressions. I'd try to get them involved, not one wants to participate. "Haa, are you guys following?" blank. "Am I too fast?" blank. "Okay, that was it" and as we say in Arabic - I only see their dust =P

    I was a teacher helper/assistant for the clubs I used to a part of in my high school. Although the students were very loud, are always out of their seats, and hardly ever listen, it was fantastic!

    To me, it's how lively the students are, how they react, and how much they're willing to absorb, not just cram the info. for a test, that makes it rewarding =)

    By Blogger dishevelled, at 13/8/07 11:11 PM  

  • n,
    Ya I know! I REALLY want to go to the museum they visited! It seemed amazing! Thinking of it, I would have liked to be in that class and participate in all the activities, dinners, etc.

    It's based on a book if you like reading =)

    By Blogger dishevelled, at 13/8/07 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home